Saturday, April 23, 2011

So... Any Questions?

Okay, just like Emma, (Her Blog Link) & many other YES Abroad finalists; I've gotten so many questions asked. I'm not that sure where exactly I'll be hosted in Thailand, but just the fact I'm going there is so amazing. P.S. The idea for this blog post was by Emma:D
So the typical Question.... "Where is THAILAND?"
Patong Beach, Phuket
So for those of you who don't pay attention in geography class, [JayKay] Thailand is located on the southern-east part of Asia with a western border of Burma (also known as Myanmar). The North Eastern border is Laios. In the far south of the country, near Phucket, there you find Malaysia. The coastline is long; along the west of the country, the Andaman Sea borders the country. Imagine all the gorgeous beaches.. Yeah, I hope I'll see that!

"What are you gonna eat? Don't they eat like bugs & stuff?"
Kantoke
Pad Thai
Hot & spicy! Duh! My parents are originally from Mexico, so that makes me feel back at home. Fresh vegetables and herbs.. Yum! Rice is a major part of Thai cuisine too; I live off of rice. Trust me, that is some really good and delicious stuff right there!!! Then the famous Pad Thai! This is mostly noodles and vegetables, but can have many other herbs, types of meat, seeds, ect. & noo! Bugs normally aren't in the recipes for typical Thai food. For my Utahans, Thai Lotus Cafe.

"What about all of us? Won't you miss me/us or get home sick?"
Uhg! I love all my family members and friends and of course an academic year is a little bit long but yes, I know that I will get homesick... But that is why there is Skype, e-mail, Facebook, calling, & snail mail. Also, I will have a host family that will get me though it and all the pimpy activities I will be doing in Thailand. I'm making my last 10 weeks in the U.S (10 weeks starting from the 22nd of April). The best way to make these last couple of weeks the best is if I incorporate in them too. Hanging out with my friends as much as I can!

"When do you leave?"
I leave Utah on the 28th of June to go to Washington D.C. with 49 other scholarship winners. From there, I will head off to Thailand on the 1st of July.

"Dude! Why'd you pick to go so far away?!"
So if you don't know by now, the scholarship I applied to sends students to countries with significant Muslim populations. YES Abroad sends 50 students to 10 countries (this year, it was 9 due to the revolution in Egypt) also, I had no choice on what country I would get. Luckily for me, I got my number one pick. You don't have a preference, but they do ask you if you got to chose your future host country. Out of the 9 countries, there is Ghana, India, Indonesia, Mali, Malaysia, Morocco, Oman, Thailand, & Turkey.

"So... What will you be up to there?"
Go to school as if I lived there forever! Be part of a family for a whole year, do activities regarding YES Abroad, & the most important one: Being a cultural ambassador. I will show what life in America is and how some of the turn outs are. I really hope I can do my job as a cultural ambassador the best of my ability and I will put forward the most I can. The best way I can show that is by being very optimistic and open to the new world.  

"Didn't one of the biggest tsunamis happen there, aren't you scared?"
The Indian Ocean earthquake was on the 26th of December, 2004. There was 4,812 casualties, 8,457 injuries, & 4,499 reported missing as the country was hit. But Thailand wasn't the only country affected by this earthquake. Indonesia, Sri Lanka, India, Maldives, Malaysia, Somalia, Bangladesh, Thailand. The total numbers for all of the countries were 230,210 casualties. I feel devastated & my heart goes out to all the families that were affected by this natural disaster. But things happen for a reason, & even though we can't clearly see that reason at the time... Answers will come and the sun will shine again. 


 "You kinda hate the weather here, how's it like in Thailand?"
I'll be expecting some hot and humid days in Thailand! Yay! Since Utah is never hot enough:P But it's all good! Better than having a day when it's really nice & sunny then go to another day where it is snowing, raining, and really cloudy! April & May are known to be the hottest months during the whole year.

"& the most constant one: Aren't you scared since you don't have an idea of who you'll be living with?"
There are 4 people I know that will be going to Thailand with me as well. There is Tyler, Heather, Gemma, & Sage.The last time I saw any of them was in Denver for the IPSE (March 19th-21st) except for Sage, I go to school with her[: But other than that, all my new peers will be part of the learning experience because I don't know anyone else! My host family will be one of the first people I will make real acquaintances with! I'm excited... Can't wait to make so many new friends now!


Still have questions? Don't mind asking me or you can always Wikipedia itAFS Thailand, or any other reasonable source[:
ออกสันติภาพ
ความรัก
ลิซาเบ ธ

1 comment:

  1. Thai food is soooo good, one of my favorites. I would be jealous of you but Indonesia is probably the better country. hahaha jk. See you in DC. I can't believe you guys are leaving so soon.

    ReplyDelete